Friday, October 20, 2006

Sightseeing Sydney by air

Flying hours: 3
Study hours: 5

I think I might keep a tally on the hours I have flown in my plane along with an estimate of my book or study time dedicated to aviation since the previous blog entry.

By book/study time, I am referring to the reading of knowledge material about flying. I believe it's important for pilots to continually be learning. As a matter of fact, after passing your PPL (Private Certificate), a lot of checkride examiners tell you that it's a license to learn.

My current reading material is Bob Tait's Instrument Rating Study Guide. I think I will do my IREX exam for fun (the Australia Instrument Rating exam).

I have been fortunate enough to travel to many countries for work and have had the pleasure of seeing a wide variety of locations. Sydney would have to be one of the better looking cities and I'm not just saying that because I live here and happen to be an Australian. Sydney by air is amazing and seeing as I have never taken photos during my flying adventures in the past, this would have to change. I'm not really a photo taking kind of person, this too I would like to change...

A snowboarding mate of mine, Trieu, works across the path from my building complex and has an passion (read affinity) for taking photos of everything. The photos are actually quite good, but that might be because he takes hundreds of them every hour whenever the camera is close by? Can you guess what nationality he is?

He was one of the first that I wanted to take flying around Sydney so that I can grab some photos of the city and surrounding areas and seeing as he loves taking photos, this was quite easy to arrange.

The trip took us just over an hour, which saw us fly to the city for some orbits and then descend to 500ft to skirt along the coastline southbound along a route called Victor 1, before finally heading back to my aerodrome.

Pictures speak louder than words, so I will attach a tiny fraction of what was taken that day.