Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Adventures of an Aussie Pilot

That title may be a little misleading... I do have my pilots license, but it's only my private certificate, so I don't fly for a living. I'm an Aussie, currently living in Sydney and working for a US multi-national company.

I'm the kind of person that flutters between hobbies. Unfortunately, the ones I like usually cost quite a bit of money or require a rather large commitment to get anything out of it. Fortunately, I have a career that provides me enough time and money to do them...

Same examples include:

  • Kung Fu (Black Sash)
  • Racing Motorcycles (one season)
  • Snowboarding (Revolves around three countries)
  • Firearms (I own handguns)

    and of course the reason this blog exists... My pilots license!

I started flying (fixed wing) around 2000. It took me just over a year to get my private license and then for some unknown reason (perhaps I had too many hobbies?) the following years regrettably saw me not use any of those skills as often as I liked... think 5 hours per year flying excluding my BFR's (biennial flight reviews).

Most of those flying hours were for recency requirements that come with holding a pilots license. I would have to at least do three (3) take-offs and landings per ninety (90) days, in order to carry passengers. But seeing as I wasn't even flying myself let alone passengers, it got disturbing and this is a hobby that I will not let go of so easily.

I recently put flying back on the agenda in an unusual manner... I decided I wanted to build my own aircraft as I knew that will get me back into flying or being around aircraft. I joined the
SAAA (an organisation in Australia that brings homebuilders together) and started making new friends who are all building, wanting to build or has built a flying contraption.

I narrowed down the choices and started researching more, costing out the project in terms of finance and time along with starting to make arrangements to move into bigger living quarters, seeing as it's ideal to have a double garage.

I started on the search for a new place to live. The search continued for weeks and the market just did not present what I was looking for. Considering I like to do things spur of the moment, the choice was made for me. I will advertise in the Aviation Trader that I am looking for some other people interested in creating a syndicate to purchase an aircraft around the same age as myself. The syndicate found me.

I purchased an aircraft (well, I purchased 1/7th of a share in one) in a syndicate that also has 3.5 owners whom are practically non-flying.



I have started flying a lot more and even had the fortunate ability to recently incorporate it into my work travel.

This blog will serve as the chronicles in clocking up my logbook hours with a bit of my life thrown in for good measure. I will definitely obtain my Commercial license (CPL) when I hit the required hours and who knows, perhaps I can dream of finding a company that will pay for my ratings or endorsements and in return, I will work for free to allow the company to recoup much more than the incurred training costs.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Plug: If you are in a position to offer a pilot role in a Sydney based training or charter company, to instruct or become a freight dog and provide me with the bargain salary of $0, contact me.

Perhaps I need to revise my plug à la A-Team.

"In 1976 a child was born, sent to a life of I.T. for a crime he didn't commit. This man promptly escaped from this life by adopting too many hobbies. Today, still wanted by the I.T. world, he survives as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the Oz Pilot**."

** Oz Pilot is offering pilot skills to any outstanding training or charter company. Terms and conditions apply.


Yep, that's better.